Thursday, October 15, 2015

Stay Brave

It's Hope You Can Cling To on Splitcoaststampers, and while this card doesn't necessarily complete any of the challenges listed to date, I was inspired by the HYCCT challenge anyway. My dad was diagnosed with breast cancer 6 years ago and so far, has won. This is a month that is close to my heart.

I walked through the mastectomy and radiation treatments with my dad. I spent a lot of time in the hospital with him when he needed emergency care when his mastectomy site retained enough fluid to fill a football. I watched as the Dr. stuck a remarkably large needle into the swelling to withdraw the fluid - without anaesthesia! I didn't know until this happened that the nerve endings were dead and he wouldn't feel a thing. WHO KNEW!!


I made this card to honour my dad and me. I know the cancer patient is the one that has to walk the diagnosis, treatments and recovery, but the family and support network walks right along side feeling helpless and powerless as their loved one goes through this devastating disease.


As my dad was being 'cooked' as he called it, I kept making sure his mantra was, "Stay brave. Stay strong" so this stamp was a natural for me for this card. It was hard on my dad to take the meds he needed following his treatment because he was from a background that a man experiencing menopause symptoms was a difficult thing to go through, and being brave and strong were attitudes he could hang on to.

Stay brave. Stay strong.

stamps; handwritten quotes (ranger)
ink; onyx black versafine (tsukineko)
paper; sw nature (k&co), fern, lily white (bazzill)
accessories; romantic rectangles 2, in flight (spellbinders), blue pearls (unknown), clear rhinestone (bazzill)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...