As I was looking at the Labels 47 Decorative Elements, it occurred to me that the inset die (shown here under the star gazer lilies) looked like the wire mesh lids used on beautiful vintage rose bowls. From this thought, I was inspired to use the die in a similar fashion as both a functional and creative element for my card
I have written a tutorial to show how I planned my work so that you can be inspired and recreate it for yourself.
- S2-064 Create-a-Flower Stargazer Lily
- S4-489 Labels 47
- S5-229 Labels 47 Decorative Elements
- Grand Calibur Machine
- T-001 Tool 'n One
Cross Promotional Partners:
To make this project you will also need:
- ivory, light green cardstock
- ivory ribbon
- light green, light brown ink
1. Cut a 3 3/4" x 7 3/4" rectangle of ivory cardstock. Lay Labels 47 Decorative Elements Inset die template on the cardstock on the lower half and mark the center point horizontal to the long edge of the card lightly using pencil.
2. Mark the center line of the card, lay the die template on this cross with the horizontal and vertical points aligned to the pencil marks. Mark a short line indicating the horizontal points of the die. Move die to the left and right of the center marks to create lines for the center of the die and using a ruler, join the upper and lower marks to create crosses.
3. Using the pencil lines, align Labels 47 die template # 2 (with #1 being the smallest die in the set) with the cross lines as shown. Use temporary tape to hold the die in place as you cut and emboss using the Grand Calibur Machine. Placing the temporary tape INSIDE the die will ensure that the tape doesn't tear the card front. Repeat two more times. Erase pencil lines.
4. Waste not, want not. Using the Labels 47 shapes that were just cut, use Labels 47 die template #1 and cut 3 new shapes. Use temporary adhesive on the OUTSIDE of the die template to prevent tearing of the paper on the inside of the die. Repeat 2 more times.
5. Cut out 3 insets from Labels 47 Decorative Elements, as shown.
6. Using paper just big enough to accommodate the end decorative edge of the Labels 47 Decorative Elements Frame die template, cut 2. Adhere them to the top of the ivory card front, and trim to create the illusion of a continuous filagree piece.
7. Cut a 3 7/8" x 7 7/8" rectangle of light green cardstock. Adhere ivory card front using 3L 3D foam squares. Punch holes from the centers of the Labels 47 die template #1 pieces. Adhere as shown using 3L 3D foam squares. These pieces act similar to the 'rose frogs' used in the bottom of the rose bowl to hold the flowers in place in the floral arrangement.
8. Cut center from the Labels 47 Decorative Elements Inset pieces and adhere them centered over the 'rose frogs' using 3L 3D foam squares, trimmed to fit.
9. Using the Create-a-Flower die template set of your choice, create 3 flowers. Here, I have used the Create-a-Flower Stargazer Lily. Christina Griffiths has made an excellent video tutorial to create these stunning paper flowers. Adhere the finished flowers using your favourite strong glue, placing them as shown or as desired.
10. To finish the card, I cut a 1" x 7 3/8" strip of light green cardstock, and adhered the ribbon and bow to the strip. Next, I adhered the strip to the card front using 3L 3D foam squares. Finally, all the layers created to this point are adhered to a 4"x8" car based, created by cutting an 8"x8" square of cardstock and scoring it across the card at 4" and folding it along the score line.