Saturday, January 30, 2010

OCC Musically Challenged

This week our January host, Jocelyn Turner, has challenged the OCC to a music challenge. Music has always been a large part of my life, whether I am playing my flute or teaching kids how to play, listening to music or running my kids to their music lessons, rehersals and recitals. Jocelyn's challenge to you is to create a card/project using music as your inspiration! We can’t wait to see where our inspiration will take you…

There is no time limit on our challenges - participate whenever you are able. To play along, upload your creation to your blog or gallery, then leave us a comment linking to your project so we can check it out. If you upload to SCS, remember to use keyword: OCCC

On SCS today, this challenge is to be inspired by the gorgeous items on the Espe website. I think their stuff is marvellous, and I just couldn't one bag for inspiration, so I chose these 3 instead;



And this is what I came up with;


These are not colours I would normally gravitate towards putting together, but I love the way they look together! I combined really old basic grey Christmas paper (the striped dp is from their figgy pudding line), last year's Christmas paper (the green flourished paper is from Eskimo Kisses) and some newer Basic Grey released late last year (Nook and Pantry).

This 'brella stamp is from a newly released (I think) set from Autumn Leaves called Brellas and Wellies. I don't normally go for solid image stamps because I prefer to colour - I think I'm a 5 year old at heart! - and I find I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do with solid images. I'm really happy with the way this one turned out. I used dew drop chalk ink by Brilliance to ink up my image. I like the little dew drops because I find I can control my ink application with these small size pads. I used a light green for the umbrella and then applied a slightly darker shade over top, deliberately making the coverage blotchy. Then, I applied a light a light brown to the handle, the sentiment and the stamp frame. To finish, I applied a much darker brown to the sentiment and frame with a light hand, again making sure it had a blotchy appearance to provide some variety and depth to the stamped image.

The rest of this 6"x6" card is pretty straight forward for technique and accessories. I have links for shopping in my recipe list. Please do check out the rest of the wonderfully music inspired projects by the rest of the OCC DT, and have a wonderful weekend!!!

stamps; Wellies and Brellas (autumn leaves)
paper;
all dp by basic grey, hershey, vintage vines, buenos aires, coconut swirl (bazzill)
ink;
chalk ink (brilliance)
accessories;
blossom, circle and petite oval nesties (spellbinders), border punch (martha stewart), dew drops (the robin's nest), corner rounder (ek success), ribbon (SU!)

7 comments:

Joycelyn Pelkey said...

This is simply wonderful, Loretta!!! The colors are absolutely gorgeous and I love every single fabulous layer!

Wendy J. said...

Thanks for sharing the puppy photos! Adorable! And what a pretty "singing in the rain" card! I like the "sun" behind the umbrella!

Jennifer Meyer said...

Beautiful card Loretta, as soon as I saw the umbrella, I knew it was from the movie "Singing in the Rain". It is one of my favorites and you did a great job on it!

Enjoy the NEW puppies, they are SO sweet!

Hugs, Jennifer :)

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

Beautiful layout and colors. Love all the sweet designs and layers. Terrific job on the music challenge!

Silke Ledlow said...

Beautiful inspired card...I like your *singing in the rain* image...so fitting for the challenge!!! Hugs ~S~

Jenny Gropp said...

Color combo is FAB!!! It pulled together in a beautiful way!!!!

Unknown said...

I love your card Loretta!!! I'm really like all the layers, especially the blossom nestie. Great job on the theme!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...